I recently went on a quick trip to Newport Beach California. Besides being a beautiful beach, and being close to Disneyland, what else can be done and explored here?
One thing you HAVE to do at Newport is walk the pier. You should try and bring fishing poles and fish off the pier.
Make sure you rent beach cruisers and bike along the beach.
Go to Seaside Donuts at least three times a day.
Try a Balboa bar, and a frozen banana.
Visit Balboa island, explore the dock there.
Shop at the shops by the pier.
At night have a beach bonfire and share stories.
Get destroyed by waves, fall asleep in the sand, try surfing, take photos on the lifeguard towers, and have the best time in beautiful Newport.
San Francisco. Liberal and foggy, this is a popular tourist destination and a city you need to explore. Here’s what you should do:
- Drive on Lombard street. One of the crookedest/steepest roads in the world.
- Visit Alcatraz Island, a former prison.
- Hang out on Pier 39 and nearby Fisherman’s Wharf
- Walk the Golden Gate Bridge/hike to a view point at Golden State Park
- Visit Chinatown
- Legion of Honor art museum
- Asian Art Museum
- Take a walking tour. Shop, see the old homes.
- Visit Mission Dolores park and you might be lucky enough to see a man on the hill dancing in a speedo. (I’m being sarcastic about that true experience, but the park really is fun).
Portland is one of my favorite cities I’ve ever experienced. It is a wonderful bookstore city, coffee shop city, art city. It is so rich in culture. Here are some places you don’t want to miss:
- Powell’s Books. Of course this had to be first on my list. I love bookstores, and I am a huge nerd. This bookstore is amazing. Lots of floors, lots of different rooms. They have all the books you need and all the bookstore photo ops you also probably need. I am not kidding you, I left Powell’s Books with the greatest feeling, I was a very happy girl.
- Lan Su Chinese Garden. Beautiful Chinese garden in the middle of the city.
- Voodoo Donuts. This famous donut place is well known. Make sure to try one. Remember, the magic is in the hole! I liked the Oreo one.
- Pittock mansion. A short drive to the woods outside of Portland and you come to a beautiful mansion overlooking the city.
- Hiking Multnomah Falls
- Blue Star donuts.
- Salt & Straw ice cream. Best ice cream around. Go here a couple times a day if possible.
- Food Trucks downtown.
- Watch all of Portlandia before you go (best show)
- Explore every cafe, bookstore, record shop you can find. I love this city.